This is my secondary blog and is designed as an archive of my handmade creations, past and present. I also add dates of fairs I'm attending, where I offer for sale my handmade pieces and also carefully sourced vintage goods. I hope you will enjoy taking a look, Niki x

Thursday 17 December 2015

A Country Yule

I just happened to be in B&Q last week and spied that they'd reduced all of their natural blue spruce wreath bases to just £2.50...
One came home with me, as I knew it was going to be a challenge to wind a natural base from twigs this year, with no flexible birch twigs available in our newly inherited garden, like I usually use.
All the other adornments for my wreath did come from our garden though. I was very keen to reflect the rural farming landscape that surrounds us here.
There were small red apples from our orchard, pheasant feathers and sheep's wool gathered on walks, some barbed wire removed from our boundary fence and lots of festive greenery, twigs and berries. 
Most of the materials were just pushed firmly into the base...
But I used florist wire to secure the apples and barbed wire. 
Here's the finished result to welcome all of our visitors this year. 


Hope you have fun if you intend to make your own wreath too.
Keep warm,
Niki x

6 comments:

  1. Amazing! The wreath is gorgeous
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie...Satisfying to make and a real saving on the prices charged in florists! Niki x

      Delete
  2. Very nice - love how you kept your wreath "natural". I made a pine cone wreath this year as there are plenty in my woodlot - I resisted adding glitter and too christmasy a ribbon lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely Jewels - that's one thing we are short of - would love some pine cones...they're supposed to make great natural firelighters too, aren't they? Have a very Merry Christmas, Niki x

      Delete
  3. Hi Niki, i have loved seeing your hand made wreaths over the years,this years is beautiful,wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and sending love and peace to you this Christmas time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K - I loved making this one for our first Christmas in our new home :)
      Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - thank you for all your visits here over the past year, Niki x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and for leaving your message...I shall try to reply to all, Niki x